Same IP Can't Play Together!?!

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 am

So i noticed now that me and my brother cant play the game at the same time! Fix this **** up problem! I paid cash for this game!
suzan

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:35 pm

noone else cant be your teammate than your brother? :F, tho this should be fixed indeed.
Javaun Thompson

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

I take it you are using a static router IP?

JS
teeny

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:37 am

Are you **** kiddding me?!?

Are you 100% sure, and what does it do? Can you just not join?
Adam Porter

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:48 am

noone else cant be your teammate than your brother? :F, tho this should be fixed indeed.

Smartass... We cant play the GAME at the same time, if he plays on a server, i cant find any servers and my game says the servers are down or some bs...
kristy dunn

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:51 pm

I remember this was a problem in BC2. I think there is a solution, but i dont know what it is.
Anthony Diaz

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 am

Can anyone else confirm this?
Ezekiel Macallister

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:28 pm

one solution for bad company 2 was to add -port ???? to the end of the shortcut , choose a different port for each player. not sure if this would work for b.o
Margarita Diaz

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:39 am

one solution for bad company 2 was to add -port ???? to the end of the shortcut , choose a different port for each player. not sure if this would work for b.o

I could try, what should the port numbers be? Also you shouldnt have to "hack" the game to play the game at the same time as someone in the same building... Love how they "tested" this before release....
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:36 pm

The problem is not so much with the game itself but is more of a problem with NAT traversal through your router. This is why Activision support clearly says that it does not support games running behind NAT routers. This has been an issue since clear back in the original COD. Both of you are seen on the internet as coming from one IP address and the outside world can't tell that you are two computers playing Black Ops behind it so the data packets get confused between the two of you.

I haven't ever had to do it in Steam but the command to add to the normal executable (without Steam) would be something like +set net_port 28961.
I will have to find info on how to do this in Steam and find out what ports the game is using.

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 pm

i just realised that wasnt a very helpful post so here goes:

your router should have NAT enabled, if it does it should allow 2 internal ip's to connect to the same external server. so first of all check that NAT is on. Do you successfully play any other games together like this? if you do it would suggest NAT is already.

however, have you in the past setup port forwarding on your router instead? which is basically what NAT does automatically. If so set it up for B.O.

to try the ports command, right click the game in steam and find the "set launch options" and enter -port 12345 on one machine and -port 12346 on the other.

you could also try this instead (taken from an old BC2 forum post):

On both your steam clients:
1. Go to Steam's My games menu
2. Right-click on the B.O and select Properties
3. From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
4. Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
+clientport 270XX
(Do not use 27020). I used 27013 and he used 27018.
5. Click OK

or try this, change it where appropriate for Black ops settings or shortcuts (taken from the activision support site for COD):

How do I set up the game for multiple users behind a NAT firewall?

Answer
The following is unsupported by Activision.

To setup for multiple users:
1) Right-click on the Play Call of Duty Multiplayer icon you use to start the game.
2) Select Properties.
3) In the Target field you'll see a line like "C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\CodUOMP.exe", add the net_port command to specify a unique communication port for each system. The complete field should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\CodUOMP.exe" +set net_port 28960

4) Click OK.
5) Repeat for each system behind the NAT, adding one to the net_port selected (28960,28961,28962)

hope any of that helps, please let us know

TED
Yvonne Gruening

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm

silly question here, you are using 2 different Steam accounts right? This means you would need 2 different copies of the game as each is tied directly to a Steam account.
Prue

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:38 pm

The problem is not so much with the game itself but is more of a problem with NAT traversal through your router. This is why Activision support clearly says that it does not support games running behind NAT routers. This has been an issue since clear back in the original COD. Both of you are seen on the internet as coming from one IP address and the outside world can't tell that you are two computers playing Black Ops behind it so the data packets get confused between the two of you.

I haven't ever had to do it in Steam but the command to add to the normal executable (without Steam) would be something like +set net_port 28961.
I will have to find info on how to do this in Steam and find out what ports the game is using.

So you will help me find what to write there? :D
Luis Longoria

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:31 am

I just did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for. I know I have a thread "tagged" on the WAW forums here but since that feature is still broke on the forums I can't get to it. Take a look at below; that may be an easier solution.

Configuring a Router for Multiple Steam Clients:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 am

I just did a quick search but didn't find what I was looking for. I know I have a thread "tagged" on the WAW forums here but since that feature is still broke on the forums I can't get to it. Take a look at below; that may be an easier solution.

Configuring a Router for Multiple Steam Clients:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567

Thanks
Amie Mccubbing

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:16 am

No!

It is a NAT problem (router configuration or behavior), but has nothing to do with "NAT traversal".

You might want to review something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal to understand the terminology before using it.

No modern PC client-server game should have any issues running multiple players behind a router. Every case of such problems I've worked on has been the result of improper router or network configuration, or pathological router behavior.

The command-line or configuration file options provided by Steam (clientport) and games (port, net_port, etc.) are workarounds for such problems, and are ideal (when available) for those that cannot configure their environment properly (either for lack of ability or equipment that cannot be configured sufficiently).

OP: If such options are available, they're certainly worth a try, if not, you'll need to dig into your environment to troubleshoot it. It is much more likely a solution is to be found there, than it being a 'game' problem: several gaming buds have been playing behind a single router for hours already (excepting the expected niggles of launch day network loads).

The following may help with background and troubleshooting ideas (the last is not for the faint of heart or lazy):

http://pcgamingtips.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-could-it-possibly-be-my-router_06.html
http://pcgamingtips.blogspot.com/2010/03/port-forwarding-slaying-mythical-dragon.html
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dxfchh5_7g5nh5qdp

Good luck at resolving this.

Rob
Keeley Stevens

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:06 am

you could also try this instead (taken from an old BC2 forum post):

On both your steam clients:
1. Go to Steam's My games menu
2. Right-click on the B.O and select Properties
3. From the General tab, click the Set launch options button
4. Add a different client port number on each machine between 27005 and 27032 in the following format:
+clientport 270XX
(Do not use 27020). I used 27013 and he used 27018.
5. Click OK

or try this, change it where appropriate for Black ops settings or shortcuts (taken from the activision support site for COD):

How do I set up the game for multiple users behind a NAT firewall?

Answer
The following is unsupported by Activision.

To setup for multiple users:
1) Right-click on the Play Call of Duty Multiplayer icon you use to start the game.
2) Select Properties.
3) In the Target field you'll see a line like "C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\CodUOMP.exe", add the net_port command to specify a unique communication port for each system. The complete field should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\CodUOMP.exe" +set net_port 28960

4) Click OK.
5) Repeat for each system behind the NAT, adding one to the net_port selected (28960,28961,28962)

hope any of that helps, please let us know

TED

We did BOTH above, and now it works. TY!! However we didnt have an "Target Field" so we placed it on "URL" THis is how it looks like now: steam://rungameid/42710+set net_port 28960

We did this on both SP and MP. Now the only problem is the lag issue.. WAKE UP TREYARCH! :evil:
NeverStopThe

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:14 am

We did BOTH above, and now it works. TY!! However we didnt have an "Target Field" so we placed it on "URL" THis is how it looks like now: steam://rungameid/42710+set net_port 28960

We did this on both SP and MP. Now the only problem is the lag issue.. WAKE UP TREYARCH! :evil:

Close - you don't want to add this to the steam desktop shortcut for the game, however (it will work, but if steam updates how launches are handled, it could break, and it also means launching from the steam library is not using the option). You want to remove the extra stuff from the shortcut, and go to your steam library, right-click on the game, select properties, and add the "+clientport...+set net_port... " as a launch option. This will then work however you launch the game (directly via library or via shortcut) and will survive steam launch logic changes.

Rob

PS - I assume you put a space betwwen the game ID (42710) and the "+". I don't recall if this is needed, but it looks 'cleaner' and more clear...
Markie Mark

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 am

Nice support here guys and no trolls to ruin the sucessful out come as for the lag is it fps lag or server lag
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:33 pm

Im having a similar problem. I have BO installed on PC and i also have it on xbox. My brother plays it on xbox, i play it on PC.

Whenever he is on xbl playing and i get on BO on the PC, it kicks him off xbl and wont let him on again. I tried doing the OP's first suggestion but no help. Any suggestions/tips/comments are greatly needed and appreciated
butterfly

Post » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:03 pm

No point someone else is already pointing out how to fix this issue
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:25 am

Im having a similar problem. I have BO installed on PC and i also have it on xbox. My brother plays it on xbox, i play it on PC.

Whenever he is on xbl playing and i get on BO on the PC, it kicks him off xbl and wont let him on again. I tried doing the OP's first suggestion but no help. Any suggestions/tips/comments are greatly needed and appreciated

If UPnP is enabled on your router, try disabling it. I haven't checked if the game invokes any UPnP - I'm not even installing it until the opening bell overload dies down - but many routers simply handle UPnP poorly/crash on conflicts/etc.

If launching the game via steam, add the two options to the game's launch options, see if that helps (you said you tried the OP's first suggestion, so It's not clear if you used both options).

Since I use steam exclusively for games that are available on it, I do not know if the box version of the game launches 'stand-alone', i.e., without needing steam on the PC. If so, just add the "+set net_port" to the game shortcut.

You could also try putting the XBOX into the router's DMZ: there is little attack surface for an XBOX exposed to the wild, so no real worries there.

Let us know...

Rob
Peetay

Post » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:28 am

If UPnP is enabled on your router, try disabling it. I haven't checked if the game invokes any UPnP - I'm not even installign it until the opening bell overload dies down - but many routers simply handle UPnP poorly/crash on conflicts/etc.

If launching the game via steam, add the two options to the game's launch options, see if that helps (you said you tried the OP's first suggestion, so It's not clear if you used both options).

Since I use steam exclusively for games that are available on it, I do not know if the box version of the game lauches 'stand-alone', i.e., without needing steam on the PC. If so, just add the "+set net_port" to the game shortcut.

You could also try putting the XBOX into the router's DMZ: there is little attack surface for an XBOX exposed to the wild, so no real worries there.

Let us know...

Rob

Thanks for the great info Rob. I went in and disabled UPnP, and Ill give that a try. I am running the game through steam and have the "+set net_port" in use
Charlie Sarson

Return to Cod -- Black Ops