Direct3DDevice9::Present failed: Ran out of memory

Post » Mon May 30, 2011 11:19 pm

I was wondering if anyone else is having this error. For starters I meet the recommended requirements ...

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40ghz
1.58ghz 2.00g RAM
Geforce 8800GT
XP Service Pack 3

I also have totally updated my video drivers, and installed the latest directX 9, both from the official directx page, and from the redistrib folder in the Black Ops directory as a test (still no change) ...

I managed to fix the freeze/hitch lag everyone seems to be having by letting the game start up after a crash in it's "safe mode" where it lowers the resolution to 1024x768, drops shadows and other things. Now I only get that lag once every 5 minutes or so, which is awesome because that's about the longest I can play without getting this ...

Direct3DDevice9::Present failed: Ran out of memory (-2147024882)

The game drops me back to windows, with a black screen. I can still hear the game sound. But I have that error message. VERY rarely I can play for longer then 5 minutes, but never more then 10 ever. If I check the task manager I have noticed the game using 25% CPU usage and 1,500,000 memory at this point.

Single player/Zombie mode are a different story. I will occasionally get that out of memory error. But usually before that happens I get a total hard lock and have to reboot, or I get the black screen, dropped back to windows except it looks like windows is in safe mode, 800x600 16 bit color etc, and if I go to task manager and crash BlackOps at this point my monitor will desync and I have to hit the power button and reboot. =P

I know there is a ton of issues the developers have to work out, so I don't expect anything fixed over night. But I'm just curious to see if anyone else is having this exact problem so I know if it's just my rig, or if it's something with the game that will be fixed later.

Thanks for any help!
Sarah Knight

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 2:05 am

Yeah i've gotten this about two time now.
rae.x

Post » Tue May 31, 2011 9:53 am

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1576142

This helped me out alot. I was crashing every 5 minutes with that out of memory error. Last night after making all the changes there MINUS the windowed mode as it caused me to lag too bad to play, and letting the game start up in safe mode, I was able to play for a solid hour. Although this morning I play (nothing changed with my PC over night) and now I get the out of memory error every 20 mins or so. It was different maps I was playing though so maybe it had something to do with which maps I was playing. But at the very least, it's better then crashing every 5 minutes rofl.
Cat Haines

Return to Cod -- Black Ops